For those of us that are able to have small pets (mainly cats) on campus I went on a quest to determine the most feasible litter box for cats. Here was my criteria:
- A litter box that can handle kittens through adult cats, say up to 15 pounds.
- A cat box that contains the litter in the box the best possible way without having the box fully enclosed (Note: A fully enclosed box can many times deter a cat from using the box, they can feel scared and claustrophobic in a small enclosed space).
- A company with a good reputation.
- Made from higher quality materials, not flimsy plastic very cheap boxes are made of.
- Not a “Jumbo Litter Box”. I’ve had those when I lived at home, they seem like their better intended taking a bath in them than a cat using it for a toilet.
- Decorative and colorful.
What I Found:
I found this litter box you can buy on Amazon that meets my 7 criteria measures. Tommy (my cat) was instantly drawn to it without issue.
One of the most unique aspects of this litter box compared to any others offered on Amazon was it has a “grated” area in the front of the box that’s about 3″ inches in width. If you’ve cleaned up after cats for any amount of time you know that a large portion of the litter accumulates right outside the box when they jump out of it. This grate actually catches a large portion of the litter because the cat is technically still in the box during the initial portion of their jump. Hopefully I’m making sense here.
The end result is much less litter on the outside, and hey I can always buy a nice litter mat to catch what’s left.
The other thing that’s unique from other boxes I’ve used in the past is the top of the sides are curved inwards. When you cat is digging and burying their treasure the litter is deflected back into the box where some sides are straight up allowing litter to go over the top.
Between the curved edges and the grate in the front I’ve found the litter I have to clean up is reduced by about 70%. That’s huge! Once more I’ve had a great experience with the customer service of the company, “Two Meows”. They followed up with me through the order, shipping and arrival of the product and even answered quickly an initial question I had if there was a specific litter I should use. The answer to that question is no by the way.
All in all I’ve been very happy with this product. But what’s more important is that Tommy is happy and judging by his box production he’s a big fan!
In case your wondering I found that Fresh Step clumping litter works best for me but after watching some vet videos I learned you should try different ones.
Have fun and happy meowing!